Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tales from the Battlefield: Malifaux: Viktorias vs Lilith

Hello all its Dungeonslinger again and as I said before I would share some of my recent game sessions in updates that I call Tales from the Battlefield. First up on the chopping block is the piping hot brand new(to me anyways) Malifaux. I played my second game of Malifaux ever with my good buddy/ arch-nemesis  Joe. We had our second 30 stone match in what was a rematch between the Viktoria's and Lilith. And the story goes....




       The setting: Just outside of the abandon coal mine within Malifaux's magical traveling tavern called the Glory Hole. The notorious treasure hunters Viktoria and Viktoria schemed with a regular associate of theirs Taelor trying to find a patsy to get the Guild off of there back.

Taelor: Sonia Cridd has an eye to collect my hide for killing dem witch boys of hers and put my relic hammer in to her personal collection of prizes. I reckon she will get this over my dead body or hers.

Viktoria 1: Now there is a plan we can work with...

Scheme: Frame for Murder... Taelor


Viktoria 2: All we need is a patsy.

 A loud crackle could be heard and seen through the tavern window: FWIZZZZZZZZ... Lilith and her brood appeared outside of the cave entrance exiting a portal.

Viktoria 1: Or a Neverborn!

All three girls grabbed their steel. Viktoria put a cache of stones on the table of two Ronin.

Viktoria 2: Is this enough for your steel?

Each Ronin picked up five of the the stones that were tossed.

One Ronin spoke for both:  This is all I require for any job.

The other Ronin tipped her hat.

Viktoria went to the bar with a purse of stones.

Viktoria 1: Any of you boys have the gravel in your stomach for some killing?

Convict Gunslinger: For six stones youll get all that and more honey.

He said as he took a swig of his bitter.

Viktoria 1: I only need the two guns today pig.

The Gunslinger cackled and took the cache.

Viktorias Crew:
Viktoria
Viktoria
Taelor
Ronin x2
Convict Gunslinger

Lilith standing outside of the abandon mine entrance with a small horde that followed her through the gate. Not far from the Glory Hole.

Lilith: Ok children lets punish these thieves for taking what does not belong to them. Perhaps if we destroy their place of indulgence they will lose the thirst for our knowledge.

Shared strategy: Distract

Lilith Crew:
Lilith
Primordial Magic
Mature Nephilim
Terror Tots x3
Young Nephilim
Desperate Mercenary

The Viktoria's crew exited the tavern and sized up the opposition.

Viktoria drew both of her swords and gave instructions.

Viktoria 1:Get that demon away from that cave and ill take care of the big one.
Scheme: Kill Protegee Mature Nephilim

Lilith smiled as she looked at the opposition and instructed her minions.

Lilith: Bring me these naive girls. Alive if possible I want to show them the error of there greed.
Scheme: Kidnap Ronin x2 and Convict Gunslinger

Lilith: There is something about the fair skinned red head that I dont like. Mother should always be the prettiest woman around...Kill her! 
Scheme: Kill Protegee  Taelor

Viktoria 2: Taelor here is your chance to get your patsy.






Turn 1:
Both crews moved into position up the field of battle. I won the initiative and moved my Viki crew up the field. Taelor took point for the Viktoria's. Joe activated all of his models with the most interesting thing happening being that his Mature Nephilim flew atop of the Tavern in the center of the board after Lilith earthquaked some of her own models forward.





Turn 2: This turn had much more action with Lilith charging Taelor and dropping her to two wounds the Terror Tot would finish the hard to kill Taelor later in the turn. Next up the companioned Mature Nephilim would charge down onto the Convict Gunslinger and dropped him to one wound. The Convict then activated and unimpressively shot the Mature Nep with Gunfighter melee strikes for one wound. To my surprise he was burned to death with black blood from the gore spray  due to melee strikes doing one wound. A terror tot moved a bit closer around my flank.
 
On my next activation I moved my Gun Viktoria closer and Sisters in Spirited the Sword Viki next to the Mature Nephilim. On the Sword Viktoria's activation I casted Sisters in Battle for a +2 damage buff and  sliced and diced the Nephilim to death for my Kill Protegee scheme.I took two wounds from black blood but thought it was worth a dead Neverborn. Joe activated his Desperate Merc to shoot at my Gun Viki and missed. I activated one of my Ronin which moved closer to the Tot that killed Taelor and took a pot shot but also missed. The rest of our models moved into place with nothing else happening.

Turn 3: Joe got the initiative flip and I tried to cheat it but failed. He took a big chance and charged my sword Viktoria with Lilith but failed to do any damage due to me cheating and stoning. After Lilith's failed assassination attempt I was licking my chops at the idea of taking his master down. All we had to do was get through the Primordial Magics activation. What happened next?!? He would cast the teleportation spell in which he needed a longshot 9 of Masks to get off. He held his breath and the lucky bastard flipped a ten of Masks which teleported  Lilith out of range to leave the poor totem to his fate. On my activation I re-casted the the Sisters in Battle to raise the damage again. Destroyed the Primordial Totem with the frustrated sword Viki's melee expert point and then casted Sisters in Spirit to move the Gun Viki forward a couple of inches.  The Gun Viki Charged the Desperate Merc and downed him. She then triggered Whirlwind to kill the Terror Tot that was next to him and dropped him as well. She then moved back several inches to get out of Liliths charge distance.
  The rest of this turn involved A Terror Tot transforming into a Young Nep. He then moved closer to my Ronin. I tried to kill it but failed miserably. He charged my other Ronin with his other Young Nep and his last Terror Tot moved after my last Ronin also failed attacking. This was enough to kill my Ronin.
     
Turn 4: We pretty much agreed to end the game after turn four due to us running out of play time. I got the initiative flip and moved the gun Viktoria forward and casted Sisters in Spirit to get Sword Viki in melee range of Lilith. This was favorable because the battle was taking place on Joes side of the table getting me closer to my distraction strat.(Not that I even remotely planned for this or thought about it while I was there)  I activated my Sword and beat Lilith within a inch of her life but couldnt finish the job with the damage buff up again. On Joes activation I had to heavily soulstone our battle to keep Viktoria alive against the crazed Neverborn Master. The Nep's killed my last Ronin. We finished our moves and called it there.

Final score.....
Viktoria's
Distract: 4 points
Kill Protegee: 1 point

Lilith
Distract: 2 Points
Kill Protegee: 1
Kidnap: 2

Tied game 5-5

In the end we both thought that this was a much better game then our first foray into Malifaux. Initially I thought I won the game thinking that I got the Frame for Murder points until Joe pointed out that the Tot killed Taelor and not Lilith. I just thought she had to die not die to the Master. C'est la vie... In Joe's defense after he rules lawyered up my fun he admitted that I probably would have killed Lilith and cancelled his VPs if we continued forward. There is so much to take in from the rules and model rules that it is going to take several more game before I really remember all that I can do. After a few more games I will try and get a review up for those that care. Hopefully I will remember to take pics during my games to put up battle reports. Let me know if you enjoyed this or not. Any helpful criticism about what you like or dont like for my blog would be appreciated.

Until the next dungeon crawl
Dungeonslinger

2 comments:

  1. The Victorias have a 2 inch melee range and black blood only has a 1 inch range. Try to stay out of black bloods range when you slice the nephilim up.

    Also, did you make sure to have lilith do her resist flip when transposition was cast on her? The spell has a resist, and even friendly models have to flip cards. They can choose to tie automatically, and thus lose, but they still need to cylcle through the cards.

    Liliths and the Vics are almost always really close games, as their playstyle matches so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the black blood has been errata since the first edition and now only has melee range not range of 1. Thanks for the comment though.

    ReplyDelete